Saturday, September 15, 2012

Crochet and Cats


How do you spend your Saturdays?  I spend mine cuddling with the cutest cats in the world (yes, in the world), crocheting and watching movies.  Sometimes I do crafty things that aren't crochet, but I'm trying to finally finish that sweater for my mom that I keep mentioning, which means today is devoted to that sweater.  I'm making progress, the first sleeve is about an inch away from being done.


This week's movies were Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and E.T. They were both good, but Tinker Tailor wasn't the best choice for Saturday crafting movie.  In fact, I don't think I would have really liked it all that much if I hadn't read the book first.  It's a very slow paced movie (like the book) and it has a lot of cutaways to past events (like the book).  But, unlike the book, I didn't really feel like I knew the characters as well, or really understood what was happening.  In the book, at least, I was trying to guess who the mole was, but watching the movie there wasn't the same build up of solving the puzzle alongside George Smiley.  There were a lot of hints and innuendos that never really panned out or provided much insight because you weren't in Smiley's mind.  You were one of the people watching from a distance, and the movie didn't even show the final confrontation.  I won't tell you who it is, but there was no final confrontation in the movie.  It was a rather flat movie, and while I don't think that they should have turned it into an action movie, they could have created a deeper sense of urgency through the cutaways.  In short, if you like psychological spy movies without a lot of action this will be a treat.  As I said, the story is good, it's just very slow paced, like the book.


E.T. on the other hand was fantastic.  I haven't watched E.T. since I was a kid, and even then I only saw it once.  I won't bore you with a full review, because you've probably seen it.  Or, if you haven't, you don't need me to tell you to run as fast as you can to your Netflix queue, Redbox doesn't have it.  I, however, do not have a Netflix account at this time, but I did pick up a VHS copy of E.T. at Goodwill a while back and I am so happy I decided to finally watch it again.  Drew Barrymore was adorable as a kid.


Speaking of adorable kids, here's the best comic panel from the week for you:
Batman and Robin #0
By Peter Tomasi, Patrick Gleason, Mick Gray, John Kalisz, & Carlos Mangual 
Is that not the cutest thing you have ever seen?  I know it's one of the cutest things I have ever seen (at least in a Batman comic).  But if you aren't a comic reader, the cutie in the bat suit is Damien Wayne, Bruce Wayne's son.  Yeah, Bruce Wayne has a son, mothered by Talia al Ghul, daughter of Ra's al Ghul, leader of the League of Assassins.  That was a bit of a mouthful, but if you are even the slightest bit interested I suggest that you run, don't walk, to your nearest Comic Shop and pick up a copy of Batman and Robin #0, if they aren't already sold out.  If they are sold out then don't hesitate to order a copy because it gives you Damien's back story (honestly it leaves out the conception, but if you really want a comic where Batman is actually caught in the act pick up Catwoman #1 and #2).  Then, after you pick up the Batman and Robin zero issue, you should pick up some other comics from DC's New 52, this is the month to pick up back stories and jump into the fray.  You just might become addicted.

Wolf Hat Variation #2

On Wednesday I mentioned that I was frogging the black-on-black hat and restarting as a headband using the same materials as the first Wolf Hat with ear flaps.  I whipped this baby up last night, and even recorded most of the pattern as I made it.  I need to retest the pattern and fix some of the issues where I know it is unclear, then I'll release it.  I don't know if I will put the pattern up here for free, or if I will put it in my Etsy store.  Or, I might post it on the blog, leave it posted for 1-2 months, and then move it over to my shop.  Decisions, decisions.













As you can see the weather finally decided to co-operate so that I could take some good pictures outdoors. Now I just need an actual camera that isn't my phone! The next step in the Wolf Halloween plan is to work out some matching gloves, and to send the pictures on to Jenn! It's been a fun project, but communication is sometimes a little slow.

Before I forget, I probably won't post next weekend because James and I are going to go visit some friends for the weekend, and the weekend after that my grandparents will be in town.  I will try to make a midweek post in lieu of my Saturday post, but no promises.  

Post at you later,
     Super Nerdy Hooker

No comments:

Post a Comment